Place:


Coningsby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coningsby like this:

CONINGSBY, a parish in Horncastle district, Lincoln; on the rivers Bain and Witham, and the Horncastle canal, adjacent to the Boston and Lincoln and the Horncastle railways, near Tattershall and Dogdyke r. stations, 8 miles SSW of Horncastle. It includes allotments in the Wildmore fen and twenty detached pieces of old enclosure; and has a post office‡ under Boston. ...


Acres, inclusive of the extra-parochial tracts of Haven-Bank and Langrick-Ferry, 5, 560. Real property, £9, 132. Pop., 1, 938. Houses, 437. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £644.* Patron, Lord Aveland. The church is good; and there are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyan Methodists, and Primitive Methodists. Charities, £82. Eusden, the poet-laureate, and Dyer, the author of the " Fleece, " were rectors.

Coningsby through time

Coningsby is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coningsby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coningsby, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14526

Date accessed: 20th April 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coningsby ".