Place:


Hesketh  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hesketh like this:

HESKETH, a village and a parish in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village stands on the coast of the Ribble estuary, near the influx of the Douglas river, 4 miles NW of Croston r. station, and 8 SW of Preston. The parish contains also the seaport village of Hesketh Bank, and the village of becconsall. ...


Post town. Croston, under Preston. Acres, 4, 735; of which 1, 685 are water. Real property, £4, 499. Pop. in 1851, 692; in 1861, 804. Houses, 153. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of cottages, and from the presence of labourers in reclaiming marsh land. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Sir Thomas G. Hesketh, Bart. A large tract, between Hesketh and Cockerham, was overwhelmed by the sea in 1720. The Ribble estuary here was once 2½ miles wide, and fordable at low water; but during the five years ending in 1865, a vast tract of valuable marsh land was reclaimed from it by deepening and narrowing the river's bed, and by forming an embankment several miles long. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Becconsall, in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, Sir T. G. Hesketh, Bart. The church is a brick edifice, and consists of nave, aisle, and chancel. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.

Hesketh through time

Hesketh is now part of West Lancashire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lancashire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hesketh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hesketh in West Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14523

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hesketh ".