Place:


Womersley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Womersley like this:

WOMERSLEY, a township in Pontefract district, and a parish partly also in Hemsworth district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on a branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 5½ miles ESE of Pontefract; and has a post-office under Pontefract, and a r. station. Acres, 3,850. Real property, £3,766; of which £170 are in quarries. ...


Pop., 445. Houses, 84. The parish includes three other townships, and comprises 7,780 acres. Pop., 996. Houses, 201. W. Hall is the seat of Lord Hawke. Wood Hall was formerly moated. Limestone is quarried and calcined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £258. Patrons, Trustees of Lord Hawke. The church is early English, and was restored in 1868. There is a national school.

Womersley through time

Womersley is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Womersley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Womersley, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14491

Date accessed: 18th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Womersley".