Place:


East Witton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Witton like this:

WITTON (East), a village and a parish in Leyburn district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 3½ miles SE of Leyburn r. station; and has a post-office under Bedale, and fairs on 3 May and 20 Nov. The parish comprises the townships of E.-W.-Within and E.-W.-Without; and the latter township contains 7 hamlets. ...


Acres, 4,280 and 3,450. Real property, £2,536 and £3,623. Pop., 326 and 295. Houses, 78 and 60. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Ailesbury. A ruined ancient monastery is here, and has been noticed in our article Jervaux. A large brewery is at Cover-Bridge; a lead mine is at Braithwaite; and excellent free stone quarries are in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £93.* Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. The church was built in 1812. A school house at Colsterdale is used as a chapel of ease. There are also partially endowed schools and charities £20.

East Witton through time

East Witton is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Witton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Witton, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14486

Date accessed: 16th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Witton ".