Place:


Whitley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitley like this:

WHITLEY, a township and a sub-district, in Pontefract district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Goole canal and on the Goole railway, 7 miles E by N of Pontefract; contains a straggling village of its own name; has a post-office under Pontefract, and a r. station with telegraph, both of the name of Whitley-Bridge; and is in Kellington parish. ...


Acres, 1,800. Real property, £2,336. Pop., 356. Houses, 79. There are maltings, corn mills, bone-mills, a chapel of ease, and a Wesleyan chapel.—The sub-district contains six townships in three parishes; and comprises 13,407 acres. Pop., 2,009. Houses, 418.

Whitley through time

Whitley is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitley, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14460

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitley ".