Place:


Wetwang  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wetwang like this:

WETWANG, a village, a township, and a parish, in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the Wolds, near the Thirsk and Driffield railway, 5¾ miles W by N of Great Driffield; and has a post-office under Driffield, and a r. station. The township comprises 3,900 acres. Real property, £3,917. ...


Pop., 623. Houses, 126. The parish includes Fimber township, and comprises 5,740 acres. Pop., 827. Houses, 160. The greater part of the property belongs to Sir T. Sykes, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £420. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is good. A handsome new church was built at Fimber in 1869. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and two Church schools. A museum, with fine collection of local fossils and antiquities, is at Fimber.

Wetwang through time

Wetwang is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wetwang itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wetwang, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14452

Date accessed: 03rd August 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wetwang ".