Place:


Wath  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wath like this:

WATH, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of Ripon and N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies near Melmerby-Junction r. station, and 4 miles N by E of Ripon; and has a post-office under Ripon. Acres, 739. Real property, £1,073. Pop., 207. Houses, 47. The parish includes three other townships, and comprises 3,568 acres. ...


Pop., 718. Houses, 161. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £981.* Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. The church is good; and there are an endowed school with £83 a year, and charities £25.—The sub-district contains two parishes and two parts. Acres, 13,413. Pop., 1,700. Houses, 372.

Wath through time

Wath is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wath itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wath, in Harrogate and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14429

Date accessed: 14th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wath ".