Place:


Warter  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Warter like this:

WARTER, a parish in Pocklington district, E. R. Yorkshire; 5 miles E by N of Pocklington r. station. Post town, Pocklington, under York. Acres, 7,000. Real property, £5,380. Pop., 539. Houses, 96. The property is subdivided. W. Hall is the seat of Lord Muncaster. An Augustinian priory was founded here, in 1132, by G. ...


Fitz-Pain; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Earl of Rutland. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £100. Patron, Lord Muncaster. The church was rebuilt in 1864, at a cost of £4,000; is in the early English style; and has a tower and spire 120 feet high. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Warter through time

Warter is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Warter itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Warter, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14426

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Warter ".