Place:


Thornton Watlass  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thornton Watlass like this:

THORNTON-WATLASS, a township in Bedale district, and a parish containing three other townships in Leyburn district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 3 miles SW of Bedale r. station, and has a post-office under Bedale. Acres, 1,436. Real property, £2,374. Pop., 206. Houses, 38. The parish comprises 3,783 acres. Pop., 440. Houses, 86. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £475.* Patron, M. Milbank, Esq. The church is good: and there is a slightly endowed school.

Thornton Watlass through time

Thornton Watlass is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thornton Watlass itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thornton Watlass, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14361

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Thornton Watlass ".