Place:


Thirkleby  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thirkleby like this:

THIRKLEBY, a parish in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire; 3½ miles SE of Thirsk r. station. Post town, Thirsk. Acres, 2,597. Real property, £2,684. Pop., 299. Houses, 57. T. Hall is the seat of Sir R. F. Russell, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £250.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was rebuilt in 1849. Charities, £20.

Thirkleby through time

Thirkleby is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Thirkleby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thirkleby, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14333

Date accessed: 20th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thirkleby".