Place:


Terrington  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Terrington like this:

TERRINGTON, a township and a parish in Malton district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 3¾ miles SSW of Slingsby r. station, and 7½ W by S of New Malton; bears the name of T.-with-Wigganthorpe; and has a post-office under York. Acres, 2,930. Real property, £3,807. Pop., 724. Houses, 139. The parish contains also Gauthorpe township, and comprises 3,630 acres. Pop., 833. Houses, 163. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £571.* Patron, the Rev. S. Wimbush. The church is good. Charities, £10.

Terrington through time

Terrington is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Terrington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Terrington, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14328

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Terrington ".