Place:


Sutton on the Forest  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton on the Forest like this:

SUTTON-ON-THE-FOREST, a township and a parish in Easingwold district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 4½ miles E of Tollerton r. station, and 8 N by W of York; and has a post-office under York. Acres, 5,800. Real property, £5,596. Pop., 652. Houses, 132. The parish contains also Huby township, and comprises 10,315 acres. ...


Pop., 1,224. Houses, 244. The property is divided among a few. S. Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £390. Patron, the Archbishop. The church was recently in disrepair. Charities, £26. Sterne was rector.

Sutton on the Forest through time

Sutton on the Forest is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton on the Forest itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton on the Forest, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14310

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton on the Forest ".