Place:


Stonegrave  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stonegrave like this:

STONEGRAVE, a township and a parish in Helmsley district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies under the Hambledon hills, 1¾ mile NW of Hovingham r. station, and 5¼ SE by S of Helmsley. Acres, 720. Real property, £1,382. Pop., 149. Houses, 31. The parish contains two other townships, and comprises 2,532 acres. ...


Post town, Oswaldkirk, under York. Pop., 290. Houses, 60. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £550.* Patron, the Crown. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1862, in the second pointed or decorated style; but retains portions of the previous structure, either Saxon or early Norman. .

Stonegrave through time

Stonegrave is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stonegrave itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stonegrave, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14293

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stonegrave ".