Place:


Stainton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stainton like this:

STAINTON, a parish in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire; 2¾ miles W of Tickhill, and 4¾ SE of Conisbrough r. station. It includes Hellaby hamlet, and was the place of a Roman settlement. Post town, Conisbrough, under Rotherham. Acres, 2,789. Real property, £2,871. Pop., 267. Houses, 50. Hellaby Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £168. Patron, the Earl of Scarborough. The church is ancient but good. Charities, £26.

Stainton through time

Stainton is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stainton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stainton, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14271

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stainton ".