Place:


Eastham  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eastham like this:

EASTHAM, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Wirrall district, Cheshire. The township lies on the river Mersey, at a ferry, and on the Chester and Birken-head railway, between Bromborough and Hooton stations, 6¼ miles SSE of Birkenhead; and has a post office under Chester. Acres, 2, 036; of which 585 are water. ...


Real property, £4, 295. Pop., 522. Houses, 93. The parish contains also the townships of Great Sutton, Little Sutton, Over-Pool, Nether-Pool, Childer-Thornton, and Hooton, and part of the township of Whitby. Acres, 10, 538. Real property, with the rest of Whitby, £17, 386. Pop., 2, 641. Houses, 514. The property is subdivided. Hooton Park is the seat of Sir William T. S. M. Stanley, Bart. There are numerous villas. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £240.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church is ancient, and has a tower and spire. The chapelries of Hooton and Ellesmere-Port are separate benefices. There are a United Presbyterian church, two Primitive Methodist chapels, three national schools, and charities £28. The sub-district includes also Bromborough parish, and four townships of Bebington. Acres, 19, 324. Pop., 9, 167. Houses, 1, 645.

Eastham through time

Eastham is now part of Ellesmere Port and Neston district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ellesmere Port and Neston has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eastham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eastham, in Ellesmere Port and Neston and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1427

Date accessed: 10th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eastham ".