Place:


Stainforth  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stainforth like this:

STAINFORTH, a township in Giggleswick parish, and a chapelry partly also in Arncliffe and Kirkby-in-Malhamdale parishes, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Ribble, 3½ miles N of Settle r. station; contains a pretty village of its own name; and has a post-office under Settle. ...


Acres, 3,698. Real property, £3,109. Pop., 194. Houses, 38. The property is sub-divided. Two fine cascades are near the village.—The chapelry was constituted in 1843. Pop., 215. Houses, 42. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, 104. Patrons, Trustees. The church is recent. Charities, £15.

Stainforth through time

Stainforth is now part of Craven district. Click here for graphs and data of how Craven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stainforth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stainforth, in Craven and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14266

Date accessed: 01st July 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stainforth ".