Place:


Spotbrough  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Spotbrough like this:

SPROTBROUGH, a township and a parish in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Don, 1 mile N of the South Yorkshire railway, and 2½ SW of Doncaster; contains a well built village of its own name, and the hamlet of Cusworth; and has a post-office under Doncaster, a r. ...


station, and a fine bridge 300 feet long, repaired in 1865 at a cost of £1,000. Real property, £4,550; of which £200 are in quarries. Pop., 339. Houses, 70. The manor belonged to the Fitz-williams; passed, before the time of Charles II., to the Copleys; and, with S. Hall, belongs now to Sir J. W. Copley, Bart. Cusworth Hall is the seat of W. B. Wrightson, Esq.—The parish contains also the township of Cadeby, and comprises 3,865 acres. Pop., 504. Houses, 106. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £800.* Patron, Sir J. W. Copley, Bart. The church is good; and a chapel of ease, built in 1856, is in Cadeby. Charities, £6.

Spotbrough through time

Spotbrough is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Spotbrough itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Spotbrough, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14260

Date accessed: 21st October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Spotbrough ".