Place:


Speeton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Speeton like this:

SPEETON, a township-chapelry, with a r. station, in Bridlington parish, E. R. Yorkshire; on the coast, and on the Hulland Scarborough railway, 4½ miles NNW of Bridlington. Post town, Bridlington. Acres, 1,962; of which 142 are water. Real property, £1,954. Pop., 140. Houses, 22. The manor belongs to Lord Londesborough. Cliffs here abound in fossils, and swarm with sea-fowl. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £50. Patron, Lord Londesborough. The church was rebuilt in 1833.

Speeton through time

Speeton is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Speeton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Speeton, in Scarborough and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14257

Date accessed: 22nd October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Speeton ".