Place:


Slingsby  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Slingsby like this:

SLINGSBY, a parish, with a village, in Malton district, N. R. Yorkshire; on the Thirsk and Driffield railway, 7 miles W by N of New Malton. It has a post-office under York, and a r. station. Acres, 2,363. Real property, £3,403. Pop., 707. Houses, 139. The manor belonged anciently to the Slingsbys, and belongs now to the Earl of Carlisle. ...


S. Castle was founded, about the end of the 11th century, by the Mowbrays; was rebuilt, about 1603, by SirCavendish; and is now a massive moated ruin, about 120 feet long, 90 feet wide, and 40 feet high. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £557.* Patron, the Earl of Carlisle. The church was partly rebuilt in 1835. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a slightly endowed school, and charities £8.

Slingsby through time

Slingsby is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Slingsby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Slingsby, in Ryedale and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14239

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Slingsby ".