Place:


Skipton on Swale  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skipton on Swale like this:

SKIPTON-BRIDGE, or Skipton-upon-Swale, a township and a chapelry in Topcliffe parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Swale, 1¼ mile W of Topcliffe r. station, and 4½ WSW of Thirsk; and has a post-office, of the name of S.-Bridge, under Thirsk. Acres, 827. Real property, £1,342. Pop., 143. Houses, 28. The chapelry was constituted in 1843. Rated property, £2,840. Pop., 247. Houses, 54. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £30.* Patron, Miss Elsley. The church was built in 1842. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Skipton on Swale through time

Skipton on Swale is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skipton on Swale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skipton on Swale, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14231

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skipton on Swale ".