Place:


Skipsea  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skipsea like this:

SKIPSEA, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the coast, 5½ miles N by W of Hornsea r. station; and comprises 1,680 acres of land, and 198 of water. Real property, £2,750. Pop., 444. Houses, 96. The parish contains also three other townships; and its Post town is Lowthorpe, under Hull. ...


Acres, 5,974. Pop., 844. Houses, 173. The manor belongs to SirConstable. Extensive and interesting remains exist of a castle founded by Drogo the Saxon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £.309. Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was thoroughly restored in 1865-6. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, a national school, and a Wesleyan day-school.—The sub-district excludes Bonwick township, which is in Skirlaugh district; includes Barmston parish, and parts of three other parishes; and is in Bridlington district. Pop., 1,939. Houses, 358.

Skipsea through time

Skipsea is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skipsea itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skipsea, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14230

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skipsea ".