Place:


Silkstone  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Silkstone like this:

SILKSTONE, a village and a township in Wortley district, and a parish partly also in Barnsley, Wakefield, and Huddersfield districts, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands ½ a mile N of the Manchester and Sheffield railway, and 3¼ W by S of Barnsley; consists chiefly of one long street; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Barnsley. ...


The township comprises 1,426 acres. Real property, £8,723; of which £5,820 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 1,037; in 1861, 1,154. Houses, 222. Noblethorpe Hall is the seat of R.Clarke, Esq. The parish contains also the townships of Thurgoland, Hoyland-Swaine, Stainbrough, Barnsley, Dodworth, and parts of West Bretton and Cumberworth; and is ecclesiastically cut into the sections of Silkstone, Cawthorne, West Bretton, Cumberworth, Barnsley-St. Mary, B.-St. George, B.-St. John, Stainbrough, Dodworth, Thurgoland, and Hoyland-Swaine. Acres, 14,991. Pop. in 1851, 21,298; in 1861, 25,288. Houses, 5,050. The living of S. is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £270.* Patron, the Bishop of R. The church is ancient. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, an endowed school with £29 a year, and some charities. The other eccl. sections are noticed in their own several places.

Silkstone through time

Silkstone is now part of Barnsley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Barnsley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Silkstone itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Silkstone, in Barnsley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14212

Date accessed: 18th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Silkstone".