Place:


Sigglesthorne  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sigglesthorne like this:

SIGGLESTHORNE, a township and a parish in Shirlaugh district, E. R. Yorkshire. The township lies 3 miles NW of Hatfield r. station, and 3½ WSW of Hornsea; and has a post-office under Hull. Acres, 1,650. Real property, £1,711. Pop., 217. Houses, 47. The parish contains also four other townships and a part, and comprises 6,319 acres. Pop. in 1851, 703; in 1861, 818. Houses, 162. The property is subdivided. S. Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £585.* Patron, the Crown. The church was recently restored. Charities, £16.

Sigglesthorne through time

Sigglesthorne is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sigglesthorne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sigglesthorne, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14211

Date accessed: 10th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sigglesthorne ".