Place:


Saxton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Saxton like this:

SAXTON, a village, a township, and a parish, in Tadcaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 2 miles W by S of Church-Fenton r. station, and 4¼ S by W of Tadcaster: and has a post-office under Tadcaster. The township contains also Scarthingwell village, and comprises 2, 662 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 117. Pop., 360. Houses, 73. The parish includes also the township of Towton, and comprises 4,022 acres. Pop., 461. Houses 97. The property is divided among a few. Towton Heath was the battlefield of the great battle of the Roses in 1461. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £76.* Patron, Lord Ashtown. The church is tolerable. The churchyard contains thegraves of some of the noblemen and gentlemen who fellon Towton field. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, and a church school.

Saxton through time

Saxton is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Saxton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saxton, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14172

Date accessed: 28th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Saxton".