Place:


Sawley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sawley like this:

SAWLEY, an extra-parochial tract, with a village, in the district of Clitheroe and W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Ribble, 4 miles N E by N of Clitheroe. Acres, 2, 240. Real property, £3, 737. Pop., 254. Houses, 42. A Cistertian abbey, on a site adjacent to the village, was founded in 1147 by William de Percy; and had a cruciform church, 185 feet long from E to W, and 125 from N to S. Greatpart of the nave and transept still stands, and presentsinteresting features.

Sawley through time

Sawley is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sawley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sawley, in Ribble Valley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14170

Date accessed: 20th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sawley ".