Place:


Long Riston  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Long Riston like this:

RISTON (Long), a parish, with a village, and withpart of Arnold hamlet, in Skirlaugh district, E. R. Yorkshire; 3 miles W N W of Whitedale r. station, and 6½ E N E of Beverley. Post-town, Beverley. Acres, 3, 490. Rated property, £3, 115. Pop., 401. Houses, 94. The property is divided among a few. Riston-Grange is thechief residence. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Hornsea, in the diocese of York. The church was recently restored. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, and an endowed school.

Long Riston through time

Long Riston is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Long Riston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Long Riston, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14134

Date accessed: 11th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Long Riston ".