Place:


North Rigton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Rigton like this:

RIGTON, a village and a township in Kirkby-Over-blow parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the North eastern railway, 6 miles N E by E of Otley; and has a post-office under Otley. The township contains also the hamlet of Brackenfoot, and comprises 3, 120 acres. Real property, £3, 321. Pop., 501. Houses, 102. The manor belongs to the Earl of Harewood. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a large school-house; and the latteris in the Gothic style.

North Rigton through time

North Rigton is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Rigton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Rigton, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14128

Date accessed: 08th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Rigton ".