Place:


Reighton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Reighton like this:

REIGHTON, or Righton, a village and a parish in Bridlington district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near the coast, 1½ mile N W of Speeton r. station, and 5½ N W by N of Bridlington; and has a post-office under Hull. The parish comprises 1, 680 acres of land, and 138of foreshore. ...


Real property, £2, 334. Pop., 251. Houses, 55. The manor belongs to Admiral Mitford. B Hall is an ancient brick edifice. A line of rampart extends along the brick brow of the Wolds, between Reighton and Speeton-Cliff. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £177.* Patron, Sir G. Strickland, Bart. The church has a Norman chancel and a bell turret; and the churchyard commands fineviews. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Reighton through time

Reighton is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Reighton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Reighton, in Scarborough and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14123

Date accessed: 22nd October 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Reighton ".