Place:


Rastrick  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rastrick like this:

RASTRICK, a township-chapelry and a sub-district, in Halifax parish and district, W. R. Yorkshire. The chapelry lies on the river Calder, and on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 3½ miles N of Huddersfield; and has a station jointly with Brighouse on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Brighouse. ...


Acres, 1, 290. Real property, £10, 140; of which £200 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 3, 917; in 1861, 4, 516. Houses, 1,005. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W.Thornhill, Esq. Rastrick House, Toot-hill, Woodhouse, and Boothroyd are chief residences. There are woollen mills, a cotton factory, and stonequarries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Halifax. The church was built in 1790, and is in the Grecianstyle. There are a handsome Independent chapel, a Quakers chapel, an endowed school with £65 a year, and charites £16.—The sub-district contains also Fixbytownship, and comprises 2, 180 acres. Pop., 4, 904. Houses, 1,080.

Rastrick through time

Rastrick is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Rastrick itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rastrick, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14113

Date accessed: 29th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rastrick".