Place:


Well  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Well like this:

WELL, a parish in Spilsby district, Lincoln; 1½ mile SSW of Alford r. station. Post town, Alford. Acres, 2,110. Real property, £2,454. Pop., 99. Houses, 17. W. Hall is the residence of T. Cartwright, Esq. There are three ancient British barrows; and about 600 Roman coins, in two urns, were found in 1725. The living is a rectory, united with Claxby, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £400.* Patron, the Right Hon. R. A.N. Hamilton. The church is modern, in the form of a Grecian temple.

Well through time

Well is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Well itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Well, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14064

Date accessed: 25th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Well ".