Place:


Aldworth  Berkshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldworth like this:

ALDWORTH, or Allder, a parish in Wantage district, Berks; in a high hilly tract, near Icknield-street, 3 miles WSW of Goring r. station, and 4 E by S of East Ilsley. Post Town, Ashampstead under Reading. Acres, 1,960. Real property, £2,119. Pop., 275. Houses, 64. The manor belonged to the family of De la Beche, one of whom was tutor to the Black Prince; and a farm called Beach was the site of their baronial castle. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £449. Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church contains nine remarkable monuments of the De la Beches, two of them altar-tombs, and all so interesting, that Queen Elizabeth made a journey on horseback to see them. A yew-tree, 27 feet in girth, is in the churchyard.

Aldworth through time

Aldworth is now part of West Berkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Berkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aldworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldworth in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1406

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aldworth ".