Place:


Whaplode  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whaplode like this:

WHAPLODE, a village and a parish in Holbeach district, Lincoln. The village stands on the Spalding and Lynn railway, 2¼ miles W by S of Holbeach; is large and scattered; and has a post-office under Spalding, and a r. station. The parish includes W.-Drove chapelry, and comprises 10,164 acres. ...


Real property, £23,300. Pop. in 1851, 2,564; in 1861, 2,462. Houses, 509. The property is much subdivided; and there are seven manors. Irby Hall was anciently a seat of the Irbys, and is now a farmhouse. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £605.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Norman and good. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a free school, and alms houses.

Whaplode through time

Whaplode is now part of South Holland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Holland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whaplode itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whaplode, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/14058

Date accessed: 03rd December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whaplode ".