Uffington  Lincolnshire


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Uffington like this:

UFFINGTON, a parish, with a village, in Stamford district, Lincoln; on the river Welland, adjacent to the Syston and Peterborough railway, 2½ miles E of Stamford. It has a post-office under Stamford, and a r. station. Acres, 3,996. Real property, £7,148. Pop., 510. Houses, 107. The manor, with U. ...

Hall, belongs to the Earl of Lindsey. Case-wick Hall is the seat of Lord Kesteven. An Augustinian canonry was founded at Newstead, in the time of Henry III., by W. de Albini; and was given, at the dissolution, to R. Manours. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £837.* Patron, the Earl of Lindsey. The church is partly early English, and has a handsome crocketted spire. There are an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £50.

Uffington through time

Uffington is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Uffington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Uffington, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 16th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Uffington".