Place:


Podington  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Podington like this:

PUDDINGTON, a village and a parish in the district of Wellingborough and county of Bedford. The village stands 1¼ mile E of the boundary with Northamptonshire, 3 S S E of Irchester r. station, and 4½ S by W of Higham-Ferrers; and has a postal letter-box under Wellingborough. The parish contains also the hamlet of Hinwick, and comprises 2, 770 acres. ...


Real property, £3, 364. Pop., 643. Houses, 142. The manor, with Hinwick House, belongs to R. L. Orlebar, Esq. Hinwick Hall is the seat of W. A. Orlebar, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £190.* Patron, R. L. Orlebar, Esq. The church is of successivedates, from Norman to decorated English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with tower and crockettedspire; and contains an ancient font and a brass of 1518. There is a national school.

Podington through time

Podington is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Podington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Podington, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1390

Date accessed: 31st May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Podington ".