Place:


Milton Ernest  Bedfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milton Ernest like this:

MILTON-ERNEST, a village and a parish in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands on the river Ouse, 2 miles N of Oakley r. station, and 4½ N W by N of Bedford; and has a post office under Bedford. The parish comprises 2,070 acres. Real property, £2,393. Pop., 485. Houses, 111. ...


The manor belongs to Earl Brownlow and B. H. Starey, Esq.; and Milton-Ernest Hall is Mr. Starey's seat. The Bedfordshire subscription hounds are kennelled here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £275. * Patron,Turner, Esq. The church is ancient; comprises Norman portions; was restored in 1865, at a cost of £1,364; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains some ancient monuments to the Rolls and the Turnors. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, alms houses with £65 a year, and other charities £10.

Milton Ernest through time

Milton Ernest is now part of Bedford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bedford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milton Ernest itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton Ernest, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1388

Date accessed: 10th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milton Ernest ".