Place:


Sutton St James  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton St James like this:

SUTTON-ST. JAMES, a chapelry, with a village, in Long Sutton parish, Lincoln; 4 miles SW of Long Sutton r. station. It has a post-office under Wisbeach. Acres, 2,946. Real property, £6,868. Pop., 526. Houses, 115. An ancient cross, with octangular stepped base, is on Ravensbank, to the W of the village. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £66. Patron, the Vicar of Long Sutton. The church is ancient, and has lost its nave. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and charities £60.

Sutton St James through time

Sutton St James is now part of South Holland district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Holland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton St James itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton St James, in South Holland and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13874

Date accessed: 04th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton St James ".