Place:


Sutton in the Marsh  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sutton in the Marsh like this:

SUTTON-IN-THE-MARSH, a parish, with a village, in Spilsby district, Lincoln; on the coast, 6 miles NE of Alford r. station. It has a post-office under Alford. Acres, 2,096; of which 430 are water. Real property, £5,606. Pop., 368. Houses, 70. The manor belongs to F. Cooke, Esq. Bricks and tiles are made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £100. Patron, the Bishop of L. The church is mainly modern: and the chancel was rebuilt in 1860. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a coastguard station.

Sutton in the Marsh through time

Sutton in the Marsh is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sutton in the Marsh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sutton in the Marsh, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13872

Date accessed: 27th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sutton in the Marsh ".