Place:


Overton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Overton like this:

OVERTON, a township in York district, and a parish partly also in Great Ouseburn district, but all in N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the river Ouse, near the North eastern railway, 2 miles S of Shipton r. station, and 4½ N W of York; and includes the site of a Roman station. Acres, 1,003. ...


Pop., 68. Houses, 11. The parish contains also the township of Shipton, and the greater part of the township of Skelton. Post-town, York. Acres, with the rest of Skelton, 5, 163. Rated property, with the rest of Skelton, £6, 943. Pop. of the parish, in 1851, 699; in 1861, 763. Houses, 148. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Shipton, in the diocese of York. Value, £214.* Patron, the Hon. P. Dawnay. The church was rebuilt in 1855, and has a stained-glass E window. A free school is at Shipton; was founded in 1655, by Anne Middleton; and, together with other charities, has £40 a year from endowment.

Overton through time

Overton is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Overton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Overton, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13871

Date accessed: 20th June 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Overton".