Place:


South Otterington  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Otterington like this:

OTTERINGTON (South), a village and a parish in Thirsk district, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Wiske, ¾ of a mile W of Otterington r. station, and 4½ S by E of Northallerton. The parish comprises 1, 414 acres; and .its post town is Kirby-Wiske, under Thirsk. Real property, £2, 288. Pop., 353. Houses, 80. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £290.* Patron, T. Darnbrough, Esq. The church is good, and has a tower.

South Otterington through time

South Otterington is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Otterington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Otterington, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13859

Date accessed: 06th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Otterington ".