Place:


Nunthorpe  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nunthorpe like this:

NUNTHORPE, a township-chapelry in Ayton parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the Guisbrough branch of the Stockton and Darlington railway, 3½ miles N N E of Stokesley. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Stokesley, under Northallerton. Acres, 1, 410. Real property, £1, 849. ...


Pop., 160. Houses, 27. The manor, with Nunthorpe Hall, belongs to the trustees of the late W. Simpson, Esq. A Cistertian nunnery was removed hither from Hutton about 1160, and gave rise to the name Nunthorpe. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £46. Patrons, the Representatives of T. Simpson, Esq., and another. The church was rebuilt in 1824.

Nunthorpe through time

Nunthorpe is now part of Middlesbrough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Middlesbrough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nunthorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nunthorpe, in Middlesbrough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13842

Date accessed: 22nd May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nunthorpe ".