Place:


Norland  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norland like this:

NORLAND, or Northland, a township, with a village, in Halifax parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Calder, and on the Manchester and Yorkshire railway, 2½ miles S W of Halifax. Acres, 1, 140. Real property, £4, 478. Pop., 1, 718. Houses, 356. The manor belongs to the Earl of Scarborough. Chemical works are near the village; and the Lad stone is on Norland moor. There is a New Connexion Methodist chapel.

Norland through time

Norland is now part of Calderdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Calderdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norland, in Calderdale and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13832

Date accessed: 16th August 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norland ".