Place:


Llanfihangel Llantarnam  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfihangel Llantarnam like this:

LLANVIHANGEL-LLANTARNAM, a parish in Newport district, Monmouth; on the river A fon-Llwyd, an affluent of the Usk, adjacent to the Eastern Valleys railway, 3½ miles N of Newport. It has a station, of the name of Llantarnam, on the railway; and its Post town is Caerleon, under Newport, Monmouth. ...


Acres, 4,092. Real property, £6,1 00; of which £1,000 are in ironworks, and £13 on the railway. Pop. in 1851,1,228; in 1861, 1,301. Houses, 263. The property is much subdivided. A Cistertian abbey stood here; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Morgans. Llantarnam House was built from the materials of the abbey; is a Tudor edifice; belonged, for a time, to the Morgans; and is now the seat of E. Blewitt, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £108. Patron, E. Blewitt, Esq. The church is good.

Llanfihangel Llantarnam through time

Llanfihangel Llantarnam is now part of Torfaen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torfaen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfihangel Llantarnam itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfihangel Llantarnam, in Torfaen and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1382

Date accessed: 29th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfihangel Llantarnam ".