Place:


Newsham  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newsham like this:

NEWSHAM, a village and a township in Kirby-Wiske parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Swale, near the Northeastern railway, 4 miles W by N of Thirsk. The township bears the name of Newsham-with-Breckenbrough. Acres, 1,869. Real property, £2, 801. Pop., 184. Houses, 37. Dean Hickes, the antiquary, and author of the " The saurus, "was a native.

Newsham through time

Newsham is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newsham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newsham, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13815

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newsham ".