Place:


Newby Wiske  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newby Wiske like this:

NEWBY-WISKE, a township in Kirby-Wiske parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the river Wiske, and on the Melmerby and Northallerton branch of the North eastern railway, 4 miles S by W of Northallerton. It has a station on the railway, a post-office under Thirsk, a five-arched bridge over the river Wiske, a Wesleyan chapel, and a national school. Acres, 1, 395. Real property, £1, 528. Pop., 223. Houses, 50. Newby-Wiske Park belonged to the Reveleys, and passed to the Mitfords.

Newby Wiske through time

Newby Wiske is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newby Wiske itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newby Wiske, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13800

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newby Wiske ".