Place:


Great Sturton  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Sturton like this:

STURTON-MAGNA, a parish in Horncastle district, Lincoln; 5½ miles NNW of Horncastle r. station. Post town, Horncastle. Acres, 1,450. Real property, £1,783. Pop., 179. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £116.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient but good.

Great Sturton through time

Great Sturton is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Sturton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Sturton, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13787

Date accessed: 09th April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Sturton ".