Place:


Nafferton  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nafferton like this:

NAFFERTON, a village, a township, and a parish, in Driffield district, E. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Hull and Scarborough railway, 2 miles E N E of Great Driffield; is a considerable place; and has a station on the railway and a post-office under Driffield. The township comprises 4, 330 acres. ...


Pop., 1, 311 Houses, 292. The parish contains also the township of Wansford, and comprises 5, 130 acres. Real property, £7, 764. Pop., 1, 535. Houses, 340. The property is much subdivided. There are malting-houses, a largecorn mill, and small manufactures of linen cloth and cordage. A place called Danes-Graves is supposed to have been a Danish cemetery in the times of the Danishascendency. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York Value, £300.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church is ancient; was restored in 1846; has a memorial E window of 1854, and a pinnacled tower; and contains an ancient font, restored in 1846. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, an endowed national school, and charities £92.

Nafferton through time

Nafferton is now part of East Riding of Yorkshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Riding of Yorkshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nafferton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nafferton, in East Riding of Yorkshire and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13762

Date accessed: 17th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nafferton ".