Place:


Great Steeping  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Steeping like this:

STEEPING (Great), a parish, with a village, in Spilsby district, Lincoln; on the river Steeping, 1¼ mile NNW of Firsby r. station, and 3 ESE of Spilsby. It has a post-office under Spilsby. Acres,1,724. Real property, £2,993. Pop., 334. Houses, 72. The manor belongs to Lord Willoughby D'Eresby. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Firsby. The church was partly rebuilt in 1748. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans.

Great Steeping through time

Great Steeping is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Steeping itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Steeping, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13728

Date accessed: 21st September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Steeping ".