Place:


Halstock  Dorset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Halstock like this:

HALSTOCK, a village and a parish in Beaminster district, and a liberty in Bridport division, Dorset. The village stands near the boundary with Somerset, 5½ miles SSW of Yeovil r. station, and 6 NE by N of Beaminster; and it has a post office under Yeovil. The parish comprises 3, 181 acres. ...


Real property, with Benville, Chelborongh, and Corscombe, £12, 104. Rated property of H. alone, £, 676. Pop., 532. Houses, 117. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Abinger. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was rebuilt in 1 846, and has a tower. Charities, £10. The liberty is conterminate with the parish.

Halstock through time

Halstock is now part of West Dorset district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Dorset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Halstock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Halstock in West Dorset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13643

Date accessed: 27th May 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Halstock".