Place:


Scawby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Scawby like this:

SCAWBY, a village and a parish in Glanford-Brigg district, Lincoln. The village stands near the Manchester and Lincolnshire railway, 2 miles S W of Brigg; and has a station, jointly with Hibaldstow, on the railway, and a post-office under Brigg. The parish contains also threehamlets, and comprises 3, 930 acres. ...


Real property, £.6, 963. Pop., 1, 570. Houses 352. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to the Rev. K. and Mrs. Sutton. There is a strong chalybeate spring. Remains exist of a Romancamp; and Roman pavement, coins, and other relicshave been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £350.* Patrons, the Rev. R. and Mrs. Sutton. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1842. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a reading-room, an endowed school with £53 a year, and poors' land yielding about £120.

Scawby through time

Scawby is now part of North Lincolnshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Lincolnshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Scawby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Scawby in North Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13540

Date accessed: 22nd June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Scawby ".