Place:


Revesby  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Revesby like this:

REVESBY, a village and a parish in Horncastle district, Lincoln. The village stands 6 miles S by E of Horncastle r. station, and has a post-office under Boston The parish contains also the hamlets of Medlam, Moor-houses, and Tumby-Wood. Acres, 4, 660. Real property, £7, 315. Pop., 614. Houses, 125. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor, with R. Abbey, belongs to J. B. Stanhope, Esq. A Cistertianabbey was founded here, in 1142, by William de Romara; was given, at the dissolution, to the Duke of Suffolk; and passed to the Bankses and the Stanhopes. The abbot'shouse was the seat of Sir Joseph Banks. The presentmansion, called the Abbey, is an edifice in the Tudor style, after designs by Burns. There is an ancient camp, engirt with a wide fosse, and measuring 300 feet by 100; and at each end of it is a tumulus 100 feet in diameter. A navigation goes from the parish to Boston. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £200.* Patron, J. B. Stanhope, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1730. There are a national school, alms-houses with £50 a year, and other charities £4. The school was built in 1858, at a cost of about £1,000; and is in the Tudor style.

Revesby through time

Revesby is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Revesby itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Revesby, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/13501

Date accessed: 21st September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Revesby ".